When my husband and I moved into our first apartment together, this is one of the new things I learned to make. It’s quick, healthy and delicious. Plus, you can store this soup in the refrigerator so you can enjoy it for the next week or so!
1 butternut squash (about 800 grams)
½ white onion
1 yellow pepper
2 T salt
½ t white ground pepper
4 c chicken broth (optional: if you don’t want to use chicken broth because of it’s MSG content, use pure water)
1 T butter
½ c low-fat sour cream (optional: if you don’t want to use sour cream, use ½ c water)
1. Peel and cut the butternut squash in large cubes.
2. Take the pepper, cut off the top and remove the seeds.
3. Place butternut squash and pepper in a pot with enough water to cover them. Add the salt, bring to a boil and cook until the butternut squash softens. Drain the water off and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the butter and add the onion it browns lightly for about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth (or water) and heat for about 3-4 minutes.
5. Blend chicken broth and onion with butternut squash, yellow pepper, white ground pepper and sour cream. Add salt if needed.
6. Reheat in a pot when ready to serve.