I love guacamole. It is easy to make and can be used as an appetizer, a snack, on sandwiches, tacos… It is full of healthy fats and goes great with these fat-free tortilla chips. Oh, and if you are wondering what that refreshing drink is, it is a fresh and all-natural pomegranate limeade. I will share the recipe later this week!
2 Haas avocados, ripe
1 c diced tomatoes
1/2 c diced white onion
Juice of 1-2 limes
Chicken flavor bouillon
*Serrano peppers, chopped (optional)
1. Mash your avocados – you can use a traditional molcajete, or a fork. Keep the seeds.
2. Fold in the tomato and onions
3. Add cilantro, peppers (if you are using them), salt and chicken bouillon to taste. Add the salt and bouillon little by little, you don’t want your guacamole to turn out too salty
4. Finally, add the lime juice to taste as well. The lime juice not only adds a nice tang, but it helps give the guacamole a nice green color
5. For the tortilla chips, simply take your tortillas and cut them in sixths. Place them on a paper towel in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes until toasted.
- Throw in the seeds. Some people say they help prevent the avocado from oxidizing, and some people say it’s a myth. However, I still do it because I think the seeds look pretty!
- I like to let the guacamole really absorb all the flavors, so if possible, I let it sit (covered, so it doesn’t oxidize) for about 30 minutes
- Add a little bit of milk (1-2 T). I don’t do it, but some people say that helps prevent oxidizing too
- Add a some salsa verde (1-2 T). I sometimes to it; it adds flavor and a nice green color.